Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Module 5 – Option 2
Herbal Shampoo ~ For the treatment of dry hair/scalp and dandruff


Review the tables of problem areas of the eyes, hair, skin, and teeth. Note in your alphabetical notebook any problem areas you experience, and steps that you can take to address these.

I have major dandruff and had tried everything to no true avail. I finally decided to make my own herbal dandruff shampoo. Armed with the internet, Youtube and the ingredients on the back of the best herbal shampoos (I recently started using Avalon Organics Revitalizing Shampoo. Wish I could duplicate it, but it has stuff in it that I don't know how to replace). I tried a few different formulas found on Youtube with mix results. I finally decided to just experiment. I ended up settling on four herbs that seemed to be the most common among all the commercially produced herbal shampoos.

These herbs would be the following:

1. Peppermint (Mentha piperita L.)
2. Lavender (Lavandula spp.)
3. Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
4. Jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis)

Each of these herbs treat dry scalps and dandruff. Jojoba oil also is chemically very similar to human sebum which helps lubricate the scalp and hair.

Anyway this is the recipe I used and the shampoo works pretty well for me if I only wash my hair every other day.

My Shampoo Recipe
You will need the following: 8 Oz distilled water
1/3 Oz Peppermint
1/3 Oz Lavender
1/3 Oz Rosemary
4 Oz Liquid Castile soap
¼ teaspoon Jojoba oil
A clean empty shampoo bottle

Using a small pot, bring the distilled water to a boil. Add all your herbs and cover. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Using cheese cloth (or a strainer if you have one), strain into another pot and let it cool to room temp. Pour the herbal mix into a shampoo bottle, then slowly add the castile soap and stir till it's mixed well. Add the Jojoba oil and close bottle and shake real well. Wa la! You have Organic Dandruff shampoo. It works pretty good. I can go three days before dandruff starts showing again.

Cite References

Books:
1. Lagow, Bette. PDR for Herbal Medicine. Third Edition. Montvale: Thomas PDR, 2004, pp. 476.
2. lbid., pp. 628.
3. lbid., pp. 689.
4. Dwyer, James. Magic and Medicine of Plants. Pleasantville: The Reader's Digest Association, Inc., 1989, pp. 250.
5. lbid., pp. 233.
6. lbid., pp. 285.
7. Ody, Penelope. The Complete Medicinal Herbal. First Edition. New York: Dorling Kindersley, Inc., 1993, pp. 73.
8. lbid., pp. 92.
9. lbid., pp. 79
Webpages:
10. ksmama81; Make your own herbal shampoo; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqcOn4OiVyw; 1/04/10.
11. knp512; Herbal Tea Shampoo; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKyoVgRB3LM; 1/04/10.
12. Wiki; Jojoba oil; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojoba_oil; 1/03/10.
13. Wiki; Castile soap; ; 1/03/10

No comments:

Post a Comment